Holy Spirit was established July 15, 1981 by Archbishop Ignatius J. Strecker. The property on which Holy Spirit Church and School are built was donated to the Archdiocese by the Brulez family, long-time Johnson County residents. The land has a history of its own. In 1857, the United States signed a treaty with and gave the Holy Spirit land to a Shawnee Indian named Hummingbird. The land was subsequently bought and sold several times until the Brulez family presented the land to the Catholic Church in 1970. Ground breaking for Holy Spirit Church and School wing took place on June 5, 1983. A year later on June 3, 1984, the facility was dedicated by Archbishop Strecker. Father Bob Pflumm was the founding pastor.
Holy Spirit Catholic School was the first school to be built in the Archdiocese in 25 years. It opened in the fall of 1984 with an enrollment of 115 students, kindergarten through third grade. Those 115 students were the result of one-half day kindergarten class and one class of first, second and third grades. Sister Kathleen Condry, of the Ursuline Order of Paola, had the distinction of being Holy Spirit's first principal.
The original plan was to add an additional grade each year. However, due to high demand for additional grades, the plan was modified and construction began on junior high classrooms and a new school office. Then in 1990, a second class per grade level was added, thus doubling the size of the school. In 1990, Holy Spirit Catholic School graduated its first eighth grade class.
Additional facility construction began in 1999 to include a state of the art computer lab, music room, art room, audio-visual room and gymnasium for the 2000-2001 school year. In 2004, a preschool was established, and subsequently, the construction of two additional kindergarten classrooms, two Catechesis of the Good Shepherd classrooms, a technology office and a preschool classroom occurred.